Hey friends, so I am of course trying to get everything ready for Christmas; which includes baking! I had these bars at work a few months ago, and they are DELICIOUS. However, I made a variation on it and it is still good. I recommend you give it a shot, and try it out.
Cranberry Apple Bars
Adapted from Cranberry Bog Bars, Taste of Home Fall Baking Fall 2012
1¼ cups butter, softened, divided
1 Tbsp. butter (for apples)
1½ cups packed brown sugar, divided
3½ cups old-fashioned oats, divided
1 cup all purpose flour
1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce (I found it in the canned fruits, Ocean Spray brand)
(You can also add 1 cup of cranberries)
½ apple, finely chopped (I used a Honey Crisp)
- In a large bowl (mixer), cream 1 cup butter and 1 cup brown sugar until light and fluffy. Combine 2½ cups oats and flour. Gradually add to the creamed mixture until crumbly. Press into a greased 13in. x 9in. baking pan (lined, if you want for less mess later on).
- Sauté apple (and cranberries also, if have) with 1 Tbsp. butter in small frying pan, until soft (just like five minutes). You do not want them to brown, but be soft when cooked.
- Spread sauteed fruit over oats, then op with cranberry sauce.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt remaining butter (1/4 cup); stir in remaining brown sugar (1/2 cup) and oats (1 cup). Sprinkle over top all of it.
- Bake at 375° for 25 – 30 minutes (mine was more like 33) or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars (I cut mine into 4×4 rectangles).